De-escalation Techniques - TCOLE #1849 (Floresville, TX)
Limiting the Use of Force in Public Interaction
Date: Thursday, October 3, 2019 (8am to 5pm)
(Members please make sure you log into your EXISTING membership account. Do NOT create a new account. If you need assistance with your username or password, please contact the CLEAT office at 512-495-9111 or 800-252-8153)
Mandated with the passage of the Sandra Bland Act (SB 1849) by the Texas Legislature in 2017, officers with only a basic proficiency certificate are now required to obtain 8-hours of TCOLE approved de-escalation training every 48-months. This class is also required for officers who wish to obtain either an Intermediate or Advanced certificate.
1. The student will be able to describe the critical decision-making model which provides officers with an organized way of making decisions about how they will act in any situation, including situations that may involve uses of force.
2. The student will be able to describe various ways to identify persons in crisis. Incidents involving persons in crisis can have significant consequences.
3. The student will be able to describe how to better evaluate situations involving people in crisis, slow the situation down, and de-escalate the situation. Being able to lay the groundwork for a safe and successful conclusion is key.
3. The student will be able to describe what makes officers better communicators.
4. The student will be able to describe communications skills that make officers safer and more effective with the goal to obtain voluntary compliance and resolve a situation without the use of force.
4. The student will be able to describe a number of techniques that will give officers the tactical advantage when dealing with persons in crisis or with armed encounters. No two critical incidents are exactly the same, it is not possible to teach officers a standard set of tactics that can be applied to every situation. There is no one-size-fits-all approach. But key concepts can be learned and applied to most incidents.
5. Through videos and scenario case-studies officers will integrate the preceding curriculum and the concepts covered to recognize critical incidents and how to respond effectively, how to use communication skills appropriately, and how to use operational safety tactics designed for critical incidents.
(How the completion of the objectives will be evaluated)
1. Classroom presentation / discussion
2. Participation in individual and group exercises
3. Active role in class questions and problem solving
Officers will receive 8-hours credit from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (Now TCOLE)
Hosted By: Floresville PD
Floresville Event Center
600 Hwy 97 W
Floresville, TX. 78114
Map and Directions
Our registration system is designed to collect all the information needed to facilitate the reporting of hours to TCOLE. We will have a pre-printed roster at the training site so all you have to do is verify your information and initial, rather than having to manually sign in on the roster. To do this, we need your help to make sure we have your information in advance of the class.
CLEAT MEMBERS - DO NOT CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT
You already have an account in our database system. Please log into your existing account to register. You may need to reset your password if you have not logged in before. If you have trouble locating your account or resetting your password, it is probably because we do not have an e-mail address on file for you or it is an old e-mail address that you are not using anymore. You can e-mail Chris Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will reset your account using the e-mail address you used to send the e-mail. Or you can call Kristi Hill at the Austin office (512-495-9111) for immediate assistance. If you are logging in for the first time, please update your contact information, PID, DOB, etc. Click the link at the top - "Welcome, Your Name" to access and edit your membership information.
Create a new account. Make sure you enter your department or agency in the "Primary Organization" field when creating the account. If you are retired, enter the agency followed by retired. If you are not affiliated with an agency but wish to attend to keep your TCOLE hours current, enter "None". Once you have logged in, you can also update your contact information, PID and DOB for the roster. Click the link at the top - "Welcome, Your Name" to access and edit your information.
After logging in, go to the specific event you are interested in registering for. If you are not on the event page, click events at the top of the page and this will take you to the training schedule. When viewing a specific event, there will be button that reads "Register Myself". After clicking this button, click the button that appears at the bottom of the page, "Proceed to Check Out". This will bring up the confirmation page. If there is a fee for the event, you will be able to enter payment information. If not, simply click the button at the bottom "Submit Order" to finalize the registration.
If you have any problems along the way, don't hesitate to contact us.